Article by: Michelle Vrieze
The Red Wing HRA and CEDA Director of Grants Michelle Vrieze have helped improve several commercial buildings in Red Wing through the Small Cities Development Program. Kelly’s Tap House, owned and operated by Rick and Kelly Anderson, is another wonderful example of how the program is intended to work. The building was built in 1906 and has been under renovation since 2010. The Anderson’s have received two Small Cities Development Program loans totaling $100,000 through the help of Red Wing HRA and Vrieze along with investing over $265,000 in private funds and a loan from Merchants Bank. Vrieze works with the business through the application process to help them put all of their information together then is involved throughout the construction project to ensure all the criteria of the Small Cities Program are met.
With these funds the owners were able to: do a new kitchen addition, new siding, add stucco and rock on the exterior, replace windows and doors, upgrade furnace and A/C units, install handicap accessible restrooms, replace the upper deck and outside dining/deck area and upgrade the electrical service. The renovations help the business remain competitive by allowing the Anderson’s to offer an inviting atmosphere and a full service menu to their customers.
50% of the Small Cities funds are deferred and the other 50% is paid back to the Red Wing HRA at 0% interest over a 10 year term. The funds that are repaid are then used to rehab additional commercial buildings in Red Wing.