Waseca County MN
Article by Andrew Barbes
Community and Economic Development Associates (CEDA) is pleased to have had the chance to meet with the Business & Entrepreneurial Support Team (BEST) of Waseca Area and help these community leaders take the next step in improving Waseca County. BEST applied for and was awarded a $5,000 grant through AgStar to research, analyze, and compose a feasibility study, which will include the following elements:
- Organizational history/overview
- Current activity/status and financial considerations
- Future structural/organizational models
- Future financial considerations
- Measuring success
BEST is structured as a non-profit 501(c) (3) corporation, organized to establish a common leadership umbrella representing public/private sectors including the communities of Janesville, New Richland, Waldorf, Waseca, and Waseca County.
BEST’s mission is to “lead collaborative efforts by coordinating activities that link recourses to attract, retain, promote economically sound industry and commerce to create net job growth that benefits the surrounding area.” BEST intends to serve this mission with the following goals:
- Identification of financial resources and grants
- Grow the tax base
- Serve as a rapid response team
- Create an infrastructure plan
- Develop the West/South interchange
Currently BEST is looking to secure funding for operations and start economic development projects within Waseca County. BEST will be using the feasibility study as a roadmap for their organizations future.